How to Adopt a Street:
Established in 1991, the City of Elizabeth City Adopt-A-Street program is patterned after the State Adopt-A-Highway. Participants include schools, non-profit organizations, clubs businesses, and individuals. To adopt a street, your group or business agrees to pick up litter for two years along a mile of roadway within the City of Elizabeth City. By participating in the program and donation of a few hours of time per year, you can help make Elizabeth City better and more beautiful.
What Are Your Responsibilities?
- To pick up litter along your adopted roadway at least four (4) times per year. You are encouraged to clean your street more often, if needed. We hope two of your cleanups will take place in April and September when the City's Spring and Fall cleanup campaigns are held.
- To make sure everyone in your organization has a clear understanding of the program and follows safety procedures.
- Coordinate cleanup dates and times with the City Public Works Department. Your first cleanup should be within three (3) month of adoption.
What the City Provides:
- The City will maintain/provide a list of potential streets for adoption.
- A road sign with your group's name will be posted by the City to mark your adopted section of the street.
- The City will provide the training film before litter pickup begins.
- The City will furnish safety vests (which will be required for you to wear), orange trash bags for disposal, and grapplers.
- Filled trash bags will be collected and disposed of by the City when notified of date and time.
- Certificates of appreciation will be presented to your organization at the end of one year.
- Be sure to carpool when you travel to your section of the street. It is important to keep the number of cars at the site to a minimum and always park them clear of the roadway.
- Wear your safety vest.
- Face oncoming traffic.
- Avoid work during hours and days that are peak travel times.
- Stop work in inclement weather.
- Do not remove hazardous substances.
- Be alert for snakes.
- Use extra caution near edge of curbing and intersections.
- Do not pick up items on bridges, in tunnels, or on overpass.
- Stay clear of any construction.
- Other common sense safety tips should be followed. These include wearing light colored clothing, heavy gloves, leather shoes or boots, as well as a hat and long sleeves.
Applications to adopt a street can be obtained at the Public Works Department located at 410 Pritchard Street or at the link below.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the Public Works Department located at 410 Pritchard Street or give us a call at (252) 337-6628.